“Option 1: On-campus accommodation, the safest but more expensive

The advantage of applying for school dormitories is that safety is guaranteed to the greatest extent, as the management of school dormitories is very strict, and school dormitories usually provide students with water, electricity and internet services. The downside is that it is expensive and, due to the unified management of the school, international students have less flexibility to choose their own accommodation. However, it is important to note that not every university can provide accommodation for students. Most schools in the UK can provide on-campus accommodation for international students, guaranteeing accommodation for international postgraduate students on campus and international undergraduate students in their first year. In addition, many universities in the UK have student accommodation available for students going on language and foundation courses:

Twin Room (or Shared Room) This is a room for two students who like to share a room and are afraid of living in one room. Generally speaking, the Twin Room is the cheapest of all room types.

En-suite Room En-suite rooms are rooms where each person has their own room, each with their own bathroom and shower room. Usually 4-8 En-suite rooms are grouped together and called Cluster Flat or Flat, each with a common door, shared living room, kitchen etc. This is the most common type of accommodation. This is the most common type of Leeds student accommodation.

Studio Room A studio flat or en-suite room with a bed, desk, wardrobe, toilet, bathroom, kitchen, etc. Some places offer deluxe studios (large single suites) which can be shared by two people (usually a couple). The difference between this and the En-suite Room is that the suite comes with its own kitchen and does not need to be shared. It is also more expensive than the En-suite.

One Bedroom Flat The difference between a One Bedroom Flat and a Studio is that the kitchen is separated from the bedroom by a solid wall, so you don’t have to worry about the sound of fumes and grease affecting the bedroom, so it is the most expensive.

Option 2: Off-campus rentals

Save money and freedom, but there are safety risks. Renting off-campus allows you to choose the best house for you and practice your living skills. The cost of this option is lower compared to other options, but because off-campus rentals have to apply for these fees in person, such as utilities and internet access, counting the time it takes to do so actually creates some intangible costs. The process is cumbersome. Students usually look for properties through school bulletin boards, online information, referrals from friends or rental agents, and the student office or student centre will have someone on hand to guide them through the Council Tax process. It is important that you remain vigilant as the internet and agents are inevitably full of false information. Gingerbread reminds you that in the UK, you have to pay Council Tax on rented Leeds student accommodation, but students are exempt from it, so it is best to share a flat with a student.

Let’s take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of these two main types of accommodation:

The advantages and disadvantages of on-campus accommodation: on-campus halls of residence are those run and managed by the university, while off-campus halls of residence are those run and managed by the halls of residence company. I get the impression that the numbers are half and half. There are individual school halls of residence that used to be managed by a halls of residence company and the school has since bought them out. The two types of dormitories are managed by managers and generally have a couple of weeks of sanitation aunts, all of which include bills (that is, the cost of water, electricity and gas that you don’t have to worry about), and the service and safety are much better than living in a private home.

You can choose to live in a student dormitory, which generally includes the school’s internal and external flats and the off-campus houses managed by the school. You can apply to the school at home before you study abroad and the school will notify you by email of the location of the dormitory you have been placed in. You can move in as soon as you arrive at the school and pay the deposit and check in. This method is very popular with international students who have just arrived in the UK. However, as student accommodation is allocated by the school and the tenancy period is fixed and cannot be changed, you have little choice.

[Price] In the UK, excluding school dormitories outside London, the price is usually £130-160 per week. Water, electricity and gas are included.

Some studios also have a separate stove and fridge for cooking, others share a kitchen with 4-8 people and provide 1-2 fridges depending on the number of people. A single bed is provided in all dormitory rooms, but you can also request a double bed from the school.

Furnishings and recreational facilities] There is usually a communal recreation room for students to use, which has a TV, table football and other facilities. Some halls of residence also have a gym and swimming pool in the building (of course there is an additional fee to join the gym). Internet access and telephones are available in the dormitories, and TV sets are usually provided in the communal kitchens.

You can turn on your heater 24 hours a day when it is cold (many students will do this all year round) without having to worry about the electricity bill. For TV and internet, there are some charges depending on the school. However, the internet is all on a separate line, so you don’t have to worry about people stealing your speed.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *